Monday 10 April 2017

The Four Corners of the Circle

I've been away for the weekend with my eldest. Went down to Canberra to see friends and family and the Treasures of Versailles Exhibition. We had a great time, but I was quite tired when we got home. Four hours plus of driving, with two near misses due to idiot drivers who weren't paying attention and clearly weren't expecting for someone to be doing to the speed limit. Still, home safe and sound, so yay for us.

Regardless of the tiredness, I couldn't help looking at the Diva Challenge last night. I figured it would be up, even though I hadn't got my email alert yet (time zones - one of the perils of living on a sort of spheroid planet). And when I saw it, oh, I was so excited. I nearly grabbed my pens and paper there and then. But instead I went to bed. And slept like a log. And spent all this morning running around doing the things that needed doing and itching to get drawing.

Laura has set a challenge that is right up my alley - a string with circles and squares.

See, here's the thing. I love sacred geometry. And the thing about sacred geometry, or classical geometry if you prefer, is that circles and squares are really important. And the presence of one implies the presence of the other.

I was reading recently "The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day" by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen1. On p.52, writing about varying cosmologies, Stewart and Cohen point out that to "many [ancient central American] cultures the world was both square and round". Which when you think about it makes perfect sense. The Four Corners of the Earth, anyone? A circle is the basis from which a square is constructed and they share the same centre point (which is often considered the fifth point of the square). Prior to the invention of the set square the only way to reliably draw a square, with accurate right-angled corners, was to start with a circle. Frankly, it's still the best way to do it, as far as I am concerned. And you can do it with just a compass and straight edge. No fussing around.

A circle can easily lead to a square. A square has to have come from a circle. No wonder I couldn't wait to get started. Although of course, life gets in the way. So here I am at nearly three in the afternoon and I have only now found time to put pen to paper.

Diva Challenge #311, CircleSquare, Bunzo, Cyme, Knightsbridge, Marasu, Printemps, Wasser and a spiral
Megan Hitchens, black ink, brown ink, white ink, graphite, white chalk on tan paper. 2017

It's a little wonky as I did it free hand, but using a mandala tile really helped. I think the Knightbridge was a mistake, or needs something else happening in it. And I should have gone much more carefully with the spiral, but otherwise... well... it will do.

For squares and circles I much prefer this, which I did with a compass and straight edge, but it's not the formal challenge piece as it was done for INKtober last year.

Playing, Paradox, Knightsbridge, Hollibaugh, Meer, Tipple, other patterns that I should go look up their names
Megan Hitchens, blank ink on white paper, 2016

You can really see the difference a straight edge makes. Oh well.

Squares within circles, circles within squares, turtles all the way down.

No archived Diva Challenge today as I still have stacks to do.

1. Pratchett Terry, Cohen Jack, Stewart Ian, The Scicnce of the Discworld IV: Judgement Day, Ebury Publishing, 2014

23 comments:

  1. Both too different to choose a favorite; I like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan, very nice work on the Diva challenge. "the corners of the circle"...hmmm, very catchy and I like it. I like the way you designed it too. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my circles (yeah, way down deep they are still circles, huh.) I liked that. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both tiles and I think the Knightsbridge looks just fine, we are always critical of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are both lovely! I really like the Diva tile, also because of the beautiful colours. But it's very prettyg anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the information in your post about squares and circles - I had no idea! Love both your tiles, but I do prefer the first - It seems very lush to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't matter that you did it freehand, Your diva tile is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful hypnotic zendalas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting post! Thank you for sharing. I do teach my ZIA (Zentangle Inspired Art) students to use a compass for making those sweet geometric shapes like squares and triangles but I never thought of the reasoning as you found. Both of your tiles are really great showing the freehand, pure Zentangle, and the compassed ZIA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see what you mean by Knightsbridge being a mistake in your first tile (even though yesyesyes to all purists I knoooow 'there are no mistakes in Zentangle') - somehow it doesn't quite sit right. But still: gorgeous tile - there are many many things to admire in it! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yeah, the Knightsbridge just looks like it's sitting on a checquered tablecloth or something. I should have gone with my fallback - Meer. I'll do something with it.

      Delete
  10. It's good to "meet" a fellow Pratchett addict. I'm just re-reading Jingo at the moment - Sam Vimes is one of my favourite characters. And my daughter bought me a Discworld colouring book for Christmas. I don't do much colouring and I'm so unwilling to spoil this that I'll probably never set pen or pencil on it! I really love your Diva Challenge tile, I feel the imperfections make it special. For me, exactly right doesn't always work. I love the addition of just a little colour and the amount of detail you have got in there. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone back to the beginning now that I know there will be no more (that's still hard to take), and have got my youngest reading them too. Do you have "Where's my Cow?"? A great Sam Vimes book.

      Delete
  11. Both are really great. I love the colors in the first and the precision in the second

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredibly gorgeous. I am so impressed. I love the superimposition of circles on squares on circles. The use of color on your zendala tile is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Diva piece is amazing! I love the Marasu bit especially. It frames the whole piece beautifully;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Megan for the geometry lesson.... you have intrigued me! I love your Diva Challenge. I think it's just right... Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From someone who failed high school maths - geometry is a lovely thing. Why didn't they teach us magic like this in school? There is a whole world waiting...

      Delete
  15. Nice tangles. I particularly love the one for INKtober.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both are beautiful, but I especially like the Zendala in black & white. Very nice tangle combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your compositions are so beautiful! Love them both! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, those are beautiful! And, your circle/square discussion fits in so nicely with what I've been doing myself. Please check out my entry....and if you haven't already done so, try reading A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe. I think it will be right up your alley! (or maybe down the rabbit hole? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately that rabbit hole can accommodate a lot of us :) And I loved your entry. Thanks for the heads up (I've been away again, so the reminder was appreciated).

      Delete