Thursday 27 April 2017

A Certain Magnetism

I missed last week's challenge as I was away. As in right away. I went to my brother's farm outside Murrumbateman (a little town about 40 minutes from Canberra), and was without internet. Or news. Which was lovely. The television is satellite only, and bounced from Alice Springs, right in the centre of Australia, so it was kind of weird that I knew when their next rodeo was on, or where to get framing done in Alice, but knew nothing of what was happening in the rest of the world. Which given the way that week was seems to have been something of a boon. Ignorance really is bliss.

One of the cows dropped a calf. She is unbelievably cute. We dined on one of the steers (Space Ghost - he won awards on hoof and hook and was incredibly delicious), and there were fresh farm eggs. Plus I went in to Canberra a few times to catch up with friends and have beautiful meals with them. And I got painting done. As in real honest-to-god painting, in oils on canvas. And tangled in the evenings while watching television with my brother and sister-in-law and nephew. A very good week.

The kids stayed home with their dad and everyone managed without Mum for the week, so I am thinking I can really do this again sometime.

I was looking forward to seeing this week's Challenge, but when it came up it left me rather bamboozled. Something inspired by the Earth? Or something on a recycled support? Really, I was unsure. But Laura the lovely Diva was kind enough to clarify. Inspired by the Earth. Gotcha. Still, it took a couple of days for me to work it all out in my head. Lots of reading and research, which was fun. I know a fair bit more now about the Gaia Hypothesis than I did. And weather patterns. And the shapes of the Earth's tectonic plates. But nothing was really singing. I didn't want to just do leafy, organic patterns because I tend to do those most of the time anyway. And then I remembered the Earth's electromagnetic field, which protects us from the worst of the solar winds and stops our atmosphere from being stripped away. So the weekly challenge turned out like this:

Diva Challenge 313, Meer, Flux, Beelight, Tagh, Fescu, Noom, Bunzo, Tipple, Skoodle

Imagine you are the Sun, looking straight at our Earth, but able to see into it, in cross section. There are the inner core, outer core and mantle. The crust, so fragile and thin, is just a line, the biosphere and atmosphere are rendered in Fescu, with the ionosphere as the white halo. And then the magnetic field loops out in bows. Behind the Earth the solar winds push the field out in a great stream so that it looks like Earth has a tail, or long hair, but the Sun can't see that. If I were doing this challenge again I would fill every space between the loops with Meer, but it's still okay as it is. Not perfect, but okay.

Our planet is really quite fragile. That field goes and we and everything else are just toast. We should be grateful for our Earth and take much better care of it. It could all be gone so easily. The politicians and their corporate masters won't bother, so it's up to us to speak up every day and call them to account.

In keeping with the plan to catch up on all those Challenges I missed (well, most of them, but anyway...), here's one I did while on the farm. Challenge 304, using Waybop. Quite a fun little tangle that. I've been using it a lot. Funny how some tangles you just take to, while others take a while to catch on. I've certainly caught on to this one. I did Waybops that were more standard, but I really like the way this particular one turned out.

Diva Challenge 304, Waybop, Betweed, Msst


I also had a go at some of the Renaissance tiles, both square and round. They make me a little wary, so it's good to practice something that pushes me out of my comfort zone. Good old Bunzo again. Maggots in carapaces. I have jokingly called this Bunzodala.

Bunzo, Tripoli, Flux, Pearlz

11 comments:

  1. The diva earth day tile is awesome and I loved hearing your thought process. Sounds like you had a great and relaxing holiday. the rest of your tiles are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes I overthink things, but I think that this time it worked out okay.

      Delete
  2. Very nice I liked all three Tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to have no TV or internet for some time. Just not knowing what happens.
    I like your Earth tile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a shock being back in contact with the world. Haha.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful tiles, especially your earthtile is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three tiles a beautiful. I love reading of your thought process for the Earth Day challenge. A wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really put a lot of thought and effort into creating such a meaningful tile for Earth Day! Your other tiles are lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete