Wednesday 5 November 2014

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Diva Challenge 192. Well, they are meant to be challenging. And this one was. Seton is not an easy tangle to use. I looked through everyone else's and unlike last week, where I got more and more inspired, this week I got more and more depressed and uncertain. Quite a few people said they struggled with it (at least I'm not alone), but some just soared. Which was fantastic. But gosh, it set the bar high.

I did not know what to do with this. The pattern itself is not too hard, but it has so much going on that it can be overwhelming. This is the first time that I have done a tangle and thought "No". I mean, really no. I'm not always happy with every tangle I do, but even if I am unhappy I can usually find something where I think "that bit is fine", "that combination worked", "I like the shading there". My first attempt at the challenge... Well, it's sitting upstairs, turned face down, until I can do an objective reappraisal and decide if any of it is salvageable. (I use that strategy with my art. If I am not keen on something, or am at a loss of what to do next, I turn it around so I can't see it. That way, when I come back to it I am looking at it fresh. Can work wonders. Doubt it will this time.)

So there I was, sitting at my desk, completely stumped.

On the wall above my desk and all over the cupboard next to it (side and both doors) are images of artwork I like, or find interesting. They are all cut from the member magazines of the Art Gallery of NSW, which means good quality printing on good quality paper. Lovely to look at. When I get stumped I often look at the images, calming myself, letting my mind wander, seeing if there's any inspiration among the images. Today my eye settled on two I have of Anish Kapoor's amazing installation piece "Memory". You can view a slide show and short article about it here.

Memory Anish Kapoor, 2008, Cor-Ten steel. Image c Anish Kapoor

I love the photos I have of this monumental sculpture. I know it was at the MCA in Sydney, but I have a feeling I missed it.

Anyway, I was looking at the photos and thinking how much I would love to see the real thing and draw it. And then straying to the tangle issue and thinking the obvious - Nzeppel. So why not do that while I work out what to do with Seton? Well, it sort of turned into this:

Seton, Flux, and a spiral

Not great, but not bad. And I have a few more ideas and possibilites now. Not sure I like the spiral. It may well get drawn over in the next few days. I'll turn it face down and then see what I think.

15 comments:

  1. I think your Seton is done very well and Flux next to is makes it 'softer'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! I love how you varied the black and white in the Seton, and the Flux is just the contrast it needed. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to you and everyone else who commented on Flux. Flux is one of those patterns I have to stop myself using, along with Nzeppel. Otherwise all my tiles would be flux and nzeppel. But after struggling with Seton I needed something comfortable and familiar. Fortunately it turned out the tile did too :)

      Delete
  3. I love your Seton Tile, Megan. I agree with Anne about the Flux pattern. It does such a wonderful job of framing your Seton. Great design. Wonderful shading and I love the dark red touches of color in your Seton fill areas. Keep this one face up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. But I have it face down until tomorrow so I can see what I really think of the spiral and whether it needs "help". Face down makes thinking time clearer

      Delete
  4. An inspirational tile Megan. I like the way you used the 'memory' sculpture as your string and 'seton' works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. too like your use of an object of memory for your string pattern. Fun and nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story and beautiful drawing.
    Your creative block is so familiar, yet every time it happens to me I think/feel that I am the only person on the planet that experience it, while the rest of humanity keeps soaring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creative block is such a personal thing. I think that's why it isolates us so effectively. But isn't it good when we move past it?

      Delete
  7. Yep! A difficult one this seton pattern! :)
    You did well. I really love the way you varied the different "circles" inside seton and the alternate colours and contrasts you created. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely combination of Seton and Flux!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your tile with seton - I think you are way too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete