Thursday 13 November 2014

Xyppity Doo Dah

I thought for a moment I might skip this week's challenge. There seemed to be so much to fit in. Mind you, it has made me look on Seton more kindly. I even went back and worked on the first effort for last week. It is coming along but still not yet fit for human consumption. And I did alter the spiral on the finished one, just a little, but it works well now. No longer a bump on a log.

The challenge for this week, to use three tangles (Trio, Huggins and Xyp), was a bit tricky. They are each great tangles (Trio is a new one to me, but I can see it rapidly becoming a favourite), but to put them together? Well, I suppose it is called a Challenge for a reason. It has taken me some days to work it out. Every morning this week I have woken at 4 am, on the dot, for who knows what reason (alarm is set for 6 am). But it has afforded me good thinking time for a number of things, including 'how do I put these three together?'

So here's the end result:


I didn't like it much until I loaded it into my photo-edit program to reduce the size. Funny how you can find ways to look at things anew. Turning them over for a few days (like last week), or putting them on a computer screen. I actually quite like this. 

Xyp was my starting point, with a two-pencil string. I love Xyp, as in really love. It has a lovely calligraphic quality, which can be really played up. Little Baroque flourishes, extra embellishments, all sorts of possibilities. I often play with this. My very first paying job was when I was twelve, using calligraphy to write names on invitations for the local music store (they had monthly concerts). So anything calligraphic I'm there.

And three cheers for the lovely brown Sakura pen. How to stop Xyp and Trio merging or competing in one easy step.

Oh, and you know how Maria says no erasers because nothing is ever wrong? Listen to her. Really, no erasers. I went a bit gaga with shading under the Xyp ribbon and hated it, so for the very first time I rubbed out something on a Zentangle tile. The paper really, really does not like it. It does not take it at all well. Next time I'll just live with it.

12 comments:

  1. This tile has a beautiful design and is done very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have accomplished a lovely balance on this tile. It has movement and quite spots. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very imaginative design. Love those red trios!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like no one else's. I love the depth in the cluster of your Trio areas. I really fought with XYP, but you've shown it in a new light. I just love learning from the other tanglers. See? All those 4 a.m. musings paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A lot of people created a lot of depth with Trio, with their shading. I really loved that and thought I would try the same. It's quite a versatile little pattern and one I doubt I would have tried without the challenge.

      Delete
  5. I really agree with you Megan. Your Xyp is awesome. Beautiful shape, flow and fill. Your Huggins extending off the Tile creates some wonderful areas to fill with your lovely colored Trio. This Tile is exceptional, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I REALLY love Xyp so your comment raised a big grin. I got the 'extend Huggins' idea from a couple of other people in this challenge, like the Trio shading. There are a lot of talented, inspirational people out there. I love learning from you all

      Delete
  6. Trio in color looks great with the black and white tile! And the scrolly XYP is great with its flourishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments. I think I nailed the Xyp :) I am still trying to work out the etiquette with this blog comment thing. Is replying to every comment excessive and pushy? Is not replying to every comment impolite? Aaargh. Electronic minefield. But seriously, thank you everyone

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this tile. The colors are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What you have done with xyp is stunning! Love your THX interpretation.

    ReplyDelete