Thursday 27 November 2014

Uramaki

Another week, another Diva Challenge, this time set by Sandy Hunter. If it's a grid pattern, make it free form. If it's free form, make it a grid pattern. And use our favourites. Basically we are turning our favourite patterns inside out.

I am an over-sharer. Sit with me long enough and you'll hear more about my life than you could possibly want, and especially more about my children. I have three blogs, for crying out loud. Three.

This is only the sixth post on this blog, but already I've shared that I have favourite patterns. Squid, for instance. Flux and Nzeppel have been mentioned, Xyp too. Five posts and you know four of my favourite patterns. Like I said, over-sharer. And here it comes to bite me on the bum because I cannot lie about which patterns I have to work with.

Last week's challenge was supposed to put us out of our comfort zones, but I loved it, revelled in it, had so much fun. This week, however, this week the comfort zone was definitely somewhere on the horizon. I could see it, but there was no way I could reach it. My lovely, comfortable, familiar patterns were about to become unrecognisable, out of control.

It wasn't that bad. But it wasn't "bulk fun" either (favourite phrase of an old school friend).

Drupe, Squid, Tortuca, Nzeppel, Beelight, Well, Mucha, Seton

There was nowhere to put Xyp, Flux I had seen on some other responses to this challenge so I left it for fear of subconsciously copying. I went with what was left of my best favourites, and then others that I often turn to, and a new favourite, Seton. Some of this I would do again, other parts - no.

Beelight is quite nice, although I wouldn't call it freeform. Take the grid out of Nzeppel and you just end up with crazy paving, or at least I do, so that's a big no. And Well just becomes a series of little flowers (boring). Tortuca? I could draw spirals until the cows came home, read for a while and then tucked themselves in and turned the lights out. Mucha in a big grid is quite fetching.

Seton without a grid was so much fun. I'm going to be doing Seton without a grid A LOT from now on. They look like Dorset buttons or fly wheels or something. So many possibilities.

 And oh look, there's Squid. Again. Because I always seem to do Squid. But that was the point of the exercise.
I can do a freeform Squid
I can do it in a grid
I can do it here or there
I can do it anywhere
I do so love to draw a Squid
I do so love it, and so I did
- with apologies to Dr Seuss 

15 comments:

  1. I really like what you did with Seton! That looks so nice and "free" and obviously you had fun with this ;-)
    Many greetings to you from germany :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...loved your Dr. Seuss poetry amalgamation! And you did you did you did it all so beautifully! Seton was my fave too, although all of it was done so creatively!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynell. Seton without a grid was a revelation to me. I really will be using it a lot more (along with the lovely grid formation version)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Tile, Megan. You balanced quite a menu of patterns in this "Old to New" challenge. Well done. I love your creativity. "Bulk Fun," such a delightful phrase, and your poem is delightful. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, :) although looking at everyone else's I am now thinking I should have gone with one or two patterns rather than pattern overload. It is what it is.

      Delete
  4. What a silly post. Loved the poem. Looking forward to reading/seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tile with lots of fun tangles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. The smiley I am about to type needs to be bigger than it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful tile and such a fun post to read! Like all above, I love your free seton and your little poem is so playful (I don't know Dr Seuss so I'll look him up) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nat, you have such fun awaiting you. Dr Seuss was a children's author and illustrator. The poem above is a poor adaption of "Green Eggs and Ham". "The Cat in the Hat" is probably his most famous, but I love "I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew" and "The Sneetches". And "The Lorax". He is well worth looking up.

      Delete